Concept Refinement
Concept Refinement:
The last week in AICE Media Studies saw the class
pitching their ideas for their portfolio projects by outlining and describing
their specific vision. I had pitched my magazine idea on the first day of the
activity with a seemingly high interest and good response from the rest of the
class. The class and my teacher seemed to find the name “Retro Review”
interesting and capable of supporting multiple issues, as well as the general
concept itself. My teacher lived through the 1980’s, which is the era in which
my magazine will revolve around and gave me some information that she would
want to see in such a magazine such as neon clothing and leg warmers. The class
was mainly confused in which way I would be able to incorporate advertising
without breaking the immersion of the era in which the magazine is set in. I
had received some great feedback on the matter, the suggestion that I should
incorporate ads from companies that existed from the time or had some cultural
significance such as Coca-Cola was perhaps the best one that stood out. I had
also come up with the idea to reserve ad space for smaller business or
individuals who are enthusiasts in the era to advertise their nostalgia pieces,
such as new video games made for old computer systems. The vision for my
concept has stayed the same overall and will continue with my initial plan
while incorporating the suggestions.
I have stuck with my decision as I have concluded that it
is unique and will be a good piece displaying creativity and individuality. The
success of my magazine also seems likely as I am going to be catering to a
niche market, as stated in the article Magazine Publishing Trends of 2019,
“Niche publishers have not merely survived the past decade - many of them are
thriving.” Niche magazines provide an outlet for people to invest more into
their hobby or interest, and I believe the nature of my magazine falls right
into that category. Independent publishing allows for many creative liberties
that are otherwise not possible in much larger magazine conglomerations, a magazine
such as my own that will incorporate many unorthodox design choices would only
be able to exist as well as thrive under independent publishing conditions. The
recently annotated class article The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence,
Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing has given me many insights
into how the powerful the uniqueness of independent magazine development truly
is. Through the statement, “Much of what I want to do as an editor is to
stretch our ability to see beauty and potential in new places and ways. Through
literature we formulate our cultural imagination.” The speaker had been
discussing their position in a magazine that showcases literary works by people
of color; but it also shows how through a more independent creation, a magazine
can truly encase a vision and have its own unique culture.
Comments
Post a Comment