Creativity and Genre

 

CREATIVITY AND GENRE:

            When developing a creative work, one must ask what procedure will be used to conduct the project at hand. During the previous week in AICE Media Studies the class had watched a Ted Talk that featured former head of innovation and creativity at Disney, Duncan Wardle. The Ted Talk discussed ideas about how creative ideas are usually suppressed by the initial subconscious decision; for example, when professional architects were asked to design a house in 60 seconds, all of them drew the typical square with a triangle roof design, none of them created anything unique. I was surely shocked when I realized that if I had had competed against architectural geniuses to make a house in 60 seconds, we would have created a structure of equal quality. The main point of the Ted Talk was to open people up to not to think linearly, but instead to think three-dimensionally, creating solutions to what might seem to be outrages or impossible problems.

            The Ted Talk had a similar idea to thinking as Ron Beghetto did in the article “An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life”. Ron explained a way for creativity to thrive in seemingly constraining environments through an abstract way of thinking. A person must own their ability in creativity with everything they do, whether it be at work or making pasta, people must attempt to breach constraints that the mind itself is creating and not the physical environment. The class participated in an activity to train in breaching these boundaries called “New Introductions”. There were various exercises but the one I chose was to make a bucket list buy using generic introduction phrases but expanding the mind by creating extreme and outlandish tasks. I will say that I have definitely gained some valuable take from the information that had been provided in the article and the Ted Talk, but I do not think that they had impacted me as much as they should have.

            When it comes to my portfolio project, I have taken various design queues from the National Geographic and TIME magazines. From the research I have made, the use of unique and visually fascinating covers that are used by National Geographic have mended my vision of how mine will be created. From TIME magazine, I especially enjoy the short and numerous articles that scatter them and the eye-catching advertising that is used throughout. My vision for my magazine is one that takes pop culture and various styling from the 1980’s and uses them to create a visually fascinating yet unique design that will keep readers attached. The magazine will incorporate fictional and non-fictional advertising from the era to immerse the reader in the time period. I will attempt to achieve a grainy overlay filter to make the illustrations and pictures seem of the time. Fundamentally, I am trying to create a historic/unique/nostalgia piece of all types of 1980’s pop culture talking pieces. What truly created my vision was my fondness of the vibrant colors of the 1980’s, something that will be prominent throughout my magazine. The genre I would choose to describe my vision is “miscellaneous”; there is a combination of genres, which I hope will be able to create a masterpiece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production 2: Focus of Your Editing

Magazine Cover Review

Final Draft: Retro Review - The Return of The King?